Thursday, October 9, 2014

Beware of the Dark Powers





It's been a while since my last post, and a lot has happened in the meantime (including the big beast of hurricane Odile that hit us hard in Los Cabos and force me to move back to my home city in the mainland). 
But this is October, and of course I would pretty much like to have something ready before Halloween!

So I'll just work on the adjustments of some of the Basic Moves, and the MC Agenda and Moves as well. For now I have here this basic move, my version of the "Open your mind..." move. 

Consult the Dark Powers

When you are desperate enough to consult the Dark Powers, roll+TAINT. †On a 10+, the Dark Powers will tell you something new and interesting about the current situation, and might ask you a question or two; answer them. † On a 7-9, they will tell you 2 things, but one of them is a lie. Whenever you use this move you gain +1 TAINT.
I know the PbtA engine ask you to "always say what honesty demands", but Ravenloft (and gothic horror) is always about not knowing what is really going on. Remember that any spell or ability about knowing the truth and detecting evil doesn't work as they should. The Dark Powers won't allow it! So that's the trick, if you read the move carefully you'll see that technically the MC is not failing to the "always say what honesty demands" creed, is the Dark Powers who are lying to you.
So? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment